Prayer for Resist the Enemy
by Acts 29 Booklet
Satan is alive and well on earth today. He is defeated by Jesus' death on the cross, but he isn't dead. He is crafty and a smooth operator. He knows he can't destroy those who belong to Jesus Christ or alter your eternal destiny as a child of God. But he actively seeks to do all he can to make you miserable - anything to minimize your experience of close fellowship with Jesus or reduce your effectiveness as a witness of His love. Satan's objective is (1) to destroy your unity with God, the church and family, (2) to entice you to sin, and (3) to lead you into false teaching. Remember that he is a defeated enemy, and our Savior will one day seal him up in eternal punishment. There is real power in the name and blood of Christ, and Satan cannot stand in the presence of the One who defeated him once and for all at the cross.
Read Ephesians 6:11-18.
"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." (Ephesians 6:11)
"If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31)
"... the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." (I John 4:4)
Pray a Personal Opening Prayer, then pray the following:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for providing spiritual armor for us to withstand Satan's fiery darts. I know that as I pray for Your church, I can expect attacks from the enemy. Guard and protect me. Help me be alert and vigilant and stand firm in the faith. (I Peter 5:8-9) Thank You for giving me the power of the Holy Spirit to help me resist the enemy. Thank You for giving me Your Word to resist the enemy. Thank You for giving me the name of Jesus to resist the enemy.
Please station Your Holy angels in every available space in Your church buildings and pastors’ homes to help Asbury shake off the enemy's assaults and keep growing spiritually. I pray for spiritual revival at Asbury.
- I pray for Your hedge of protection around Asbury's pastors, staff, ministries and all the people involved in those ministries. 34
- I pray for Your full armor on Asbury and ask You to dress Your church in Your manifold protection. (Ephesians 6:11-17)
- Please motivate each person in the Asbury family to become constant in prayer and give thanks in all things. (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)
- Father, please help each of the Acts 29 prayer partners resist temptation and remain steadfast in prayer for the allotted 40-day time period. Pour out Your richest blessings on us as we lift up our church in prayer.
- Help each person at Asbury understand that Satan is real and doing everything he can to win people to his side. Help us remember that we are not immune to his attacks because we are Christians, but are more likely to be attacked for that reason.
- Thank You for the assurance that Satan was overcome by the blood of Jesus. I affirm that Jesus won the victory for me when He shed His blood for my sins. (Revelation 12:11)
- Give each of us in the Asbury family the desire and willingness to submit ourselves to You so we will have the power to resist the devil.
- "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)
- Give each of us the desire and motivation to study the Scripture, which is stronger than any double-edged sword, and to live by it so we will be prepared to resist Satan's attacks. (1 John 2:14)
- "The word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him." (Proverbs 10:5)
- In Jesus' name, I bind Satan from causing pride, envy, strife, doubt, fear, disharmony, worry, gossip, apathy, discontentment and confusion in the Asbury family. In Jesus' name, I loose the fruit of the Spirit in Your congregation.
- "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." (Matthew 16:19) 35
- I pray that I will not allow Satan to get a foothold in my life for any reason. Help me be alert and vigilant, resisting Satan and standing firm in the faith.
"In your anger, do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." (Ephesians 4:26-27)
"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith …” (1 Peter 5:8-9)
Father, just as Jesus prayed that You would protect His disciples from the evil one, I ask that You also protect the people of Asbury by the power of His name. In Jesus' name, I pray that Satan's stronghold, wherever and whatever it is, will be shattered. Jesus, You are my only Lord, and no other power has mastery over my soul or any part of my being. Thank you for saving me, Jesus, and calling me Your own. Thank you for showing me how to resist the enemy and withstand his attacks. In Your name, I pray. Amen.