AsburyKids Elementary Staff
Asbury United Methodist Church is seeking two part-time Elementary Staff members for our AsburyKids (Children’s Ministry) department. This position partners with families who have children ranging from Kindergarten to 5th grade. AsburyKids Elementary staff members help families and kids (K-5th Grade) follow Jesus by providing safe, creative, nurturing and age-appropriate classroom care and spiritual formation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Actively demonstrates Asbury’s Core Behaviors (genuine kindness, confident humility, and committed team player).
- Maintain personal spiritual development through Bible reading, prayer and Christian community
- Follow the vision, instruction, lesson plans, and schedule put forth by your Elementary Associate.
- Lead a small group of children, possibly with the aid of Asbury volunteers, by facilitating trust and relationships, guiding conversations, following lesson plans, and facilitating the prepared crafts or activities.
- Be willing to “float” to different classrooms or small groups without adequate staff or volunteers, at the discretion of your Elementary Associate.
- Providing safe, age-appropriate care which may include: assisting with bathroom needs, maintaining a safe environment, managing behavior, calming crying/upset children, sitting/playing/interacting with children through games, play, Bible stories, guided small group conversation, prayer, crafts, and worship.
- Review and be thoroughly familiar with the month’s curriculum, themes, and goals, as well as the day’s small group lesson plan.
- Participate fully in the Elementary worship service (Big Group) singing and using song motions and managing children’s behavior throughout.
- Engage with children in a positive, nurturing, sensitive, and Godly manner.
- Build positive relationships with volunteers, ranging in age from young teen to senior adult, by learning their names and empowering them to lead and serve alongside you.
- Build relationships with children by learning their names, likes and dislikes, and personality as quickly as possible.
- Build relationships with parents by warmly greeting them, learning their names, and exuding positivity and confidence as they transfer their child into the classroom.
- Keep classrooms clean and organized all throughout the morning, and complete proper sanitization procedures when applicable.
- Be prepared and ready to care for children in emergency situations (fire, tornado, injury, chocking, etc.)
- Deal with child disciplinary issues, sickness, separation anxiety, etc. in your classroom, and report all incidences to your Elementary Associate.
- Assist with all check-in/out procedures as directed by your Elementary Associate.
- Other than an Elementary Associate or AK Coordinator, keep all concerns/issues with a child or family in strict confidence and away from other AK staff, volunteers, or families.
- Maintain a high standard of punctuality regarding attendance and tardiness.
- Work every Sunday morning throughout the year including Easter and Mother’s Day, as well as the once-monthly Friday night KNO events (6 vacation days per year are included).
- Contribute to a positive, healthy work environment by refraining completely from gossip, negativity, or reporting concerns to anyone other than an Elementary Associate or AK Coordinator.
Requirements for the position:
- Certification in basic first aid, including child/infant CPR, CPR certification or must be willing to become certified
- Child care experience
- A heart and passion for children
- Satisfactory completion of a background check
- Must be punctual and dependable
- Above average soft, written, and verbal communication skills
- Must be a self-starter and able to work with little oversight
- Must be adaptable to quickly changing situations
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality in all circumstances
- Ability to manage and maintain a classroom of young children
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while serving others
Time commitment for the position:
- Sunday: 8:15-12:30pm
- Kids Night Out (KNO): one Friday per month: 5-8:15pm
If interested in applying, please send your resume to .